Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Hook


This week I'm taking a course on "How to get your foot in the door". This course is teaching me how to write a correct synopsis and query letter. The big topic this week is THE HOOK. The hook should come first in your synopsis and it should grab the reader. You want the reader to say "WOW" I want to read more. Think about it. When you go to the book store and pick up a book or even a magazine what pulls you in? For example in Twilight "I've never given much thought to how I would die, but dying in the place of someone I love seems like a good way to go." This hook enticed me . It made me want to continue reading. What's a hook that's grabbed you? I would suggest taking this angle when writing your hook.

This is what I'm working with for my hook for Love and Honor.

He was the gallant hero she had always dreamed of, but she never dreamed that such a wonderful love would take her down an excruciating road of terror and hopelessness. A road that will ultimately lead her to the brink of death.

This is still a work in progress. I will continue to post ideas and tips that I've learned from my course.

1 comment: